Sunday, February 23, 2014

REVIEW :: NYX Primal Colors Collection

"Unleash your inner theatrical makeup artist with these incredible pressed pigments. Creates a variety of special effects with the ultimate in staying power."
Well unleash my inner theatrical makeup artist I shall! I was super pumped when I saw this new collection in the NYX aisle of Ulta. I wasn't even planning on making a huge purchase-- I had just gone in to buy a new eyeliner. These shades, for 5$ each, were too much of a steal to pass up. I swatched each color at the store and found that the pigmentation was unreal. They felt so velvety and soft I was almost stunned to see that they were retailing for such a low price. Needless to say I picked up the entire collection (minus the black shade because that was sold out) and took to playing with them immediately. I have no real experience with using colors this bright so it made me a little skeptical to throw them on my face; but I  had a lot of fun using them and cannot wait to become more comfortable with wearing them.



There are 8 shades in this collection (the seven pictured above + the black shade I do not own). Each shade is a matte finish with a very smooth texture, high pigmentation, and a breeze to blend. When I went on the NYX website to read more about them, I did find out that they are technically "face powders" and it is noted that they are not to be used around the eye…..but I did anyways (whoops).


Top Row: Hot Yellow, Hot Red. Second Row: Hot Orange, Hot Pink. Third Row: Hot Green, Hot Fuchsia. Bottom: Hot Blue

The packaging is a clear plastic case that is slim and doesn't take up much room in your eyeshadow drawer. There isn't anything special about the packaging, but it is cute and I like that it is clear. They seem to be pretty sturdy hinge wise, although one of my colors seems to be a tad loose. 

The pigmentation & texture of these shadows is truly amazing. NYX usually does offer a great color pay off with most of their products so this was not too shocking. Bright colors do tend to be a little more difficult to master but NYX has done it phenomenally. The texture is very smooth and creamy making them very easy to blend. They feel very high end, not like you only spent 5$!

The shadows have a very nice staying power to them. I kept the swatches on my arm all day and noticed after about 5 hours the colors started to wear off slightly, but not as much as I had thought they were going to. Since they are so creamy, you can pack the colors onto your lid and build up the intensity as much or as little as you want. I had no lid color peaking through when I applied them to my eyes, it was amazing! 

Left to Right: Hot Yellow, Hot Red, Hot Pink, Hot Orange, Hot Fuchsia, Hot Green, Hot Blue


The only negative I have to say about this product is that I wish they were more true colors instead of hot colors. It would have been really nice to have a deeper purple instead of the Hot Fuchsia because it and Hot Pink are very similar. Also, the Hot Orange color is really coral/salmon-y in under tone and I would have preferred it to be more of a true orange. Hopefully in the future we will see a collection with deeper shades! *fingers crossed*

I really can't wait to experiment more with these shadows and get a little bit artsy with them. The possibilities are endless! NYX has made it easy for people who are afraid to use these bright colors to try them out for a small cost. I have been wanting to purchase Sugar Pill shadows but was not a fan of the high cost of 12$ per pan. Since these are only 5$ per shadow it was super easy for me to pick them up and give them a try. You can pick these shadows up at your local Ulta store, or online from either NYX or Ulta



This is my first look with these colors. Super basic, but I like the way it came out!
If you have tired this collection out, let me know what you think!




As always, thank you so much for reading!
xox

1 comment:

Please leave a comment with your thoughts, opinions, or ideas you would like to see in future posts! xox